Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Childhood

Growing up my favorite hobby an pass time was waitin for my dad to get home from work and take me fishin on the "mighty weeb" as my father always called it. Most would know it as the weber river. He taught me everything i know today about life with the things he took me to do when i was a child. Some kids are not givin these opportunities to experience things and grow up and learn, you can not learn all the things you need to know about life in a class room or sitting in front of the tv. I am thankful for all the activities my dad took me to experience with him as i was growing up fishing, camping, hunting, hiking, riding, snowboarding/ski. These are all the things that make life worth living, this is what you work mon-fri for the rest of your life for. Its made me want to be as good of man as my father was an opened my eyes to the important things in life, its made me wanna be a dad some day an show my son all i have seen. I feel sorry for the kids that grow up on gears of war and halo, family guy and the simpsons. Its sad when cartoons have more influence on your kids life than you do. Its sad when they learn half their life lessons from bart simpson. Why's your daughter gotta be growin up to be like Paris Hilton, why is your son growing up to work in an office an then go home to more computer time? Is that really the way we wanna be? Is that new freeway really worth destroying more land? When is it ever going to be enough? Take you kid to the top of a mountain where he can see nothin but green mountains as far as the eyes can see. Show him where the big fish are an where to pitch his worm. Show him how the clutch works an how to shift his dirt bike. How to change his brakes and oil.

1 comment:

Talley said...

Zane - great post. It reminds me of my own dad and childhood. I loved going fishing with him (on the Provo River not the Weber). I agree with you on how sad it is the way some kids are raised.